The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is called the “Invisible Killer” because it’s a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. More than 150 people in the Unites States die every year from accidental nonfire-related CO poisoning associated with consumer products, including generators. Other products include faulty, improperly-used or incorrectly-vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fireplaces. Source: Consumer Product Safety Commission

Know the symptoms of CO poisoning

Source: Consumer Product Safety Commission

Because CO is odorless, colorless, and otherwise undetectable to the human senses, people may not know that they are being exposed. The initial symptoms of low to moderate CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever). They include:

  • Headache
  • Fatigue
  • Shortness of breath
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness

High level CO poisoning results in progressively more severe symptoms, including:

  • Mental confusion
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of muscular coordination
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Ultimately death

Test carbon monoxide alarms at least once a month.

Use portable generators outdoors in a well-ventilated area away from your home.

Make sure all vents for your furnace, stove, fireplaces and dryers are clear of snow and other debris.

Install carbon monoxide alarms outside each separate sleeping area, on every level of the home.

Related Content:

No Water, No Sewer, No Electricity, No Natural Gas, What Will You Do?

Categories

Subscribe!

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.